I thought THE TRUE STORY OF THANKSGIVING from PowerKids Press could have been much better.
For example, if you take a look at the above page, you will note that there is no spacing between paragraphs. And with the letters being VERY large (which I don't think you can fully appreciate in this image) it makes all of the pages of text ugly.
The
images aren't much better. And while I really liked the use of classic
artwork and the wood cuttings, I thought the switch to garishly printed
modern photographs was less than appealing.
Factually the book is better. Although I thought it was strange that the author wrote that during the first winter in Plymouth that the pilgrims planted crops. [Given the snowy environment that sounds strange.]
And I regret that the author missed out on an opportunity to point out that one reason that the treaty between the Wampanoag's and Pilgrims took place was because the Native Americans were tired of the Pilgrims robbing and stealing from them. That would seem a fun and kid-friendly factoid that most watered-down history books don't talk about.
And as you can see from page 18, the BIG debunk is actually very mild. Mostly having to do with the
feast taking place over 3 days, rather than one. And with small things
like food selection and standing up instead of sitting.
Can't really recommend. For a book at the 5th grade reading level, it's conceptually too simple and just not fun enough.
Pam~
THE TRUE STORY OF THANKSGIVING
(What Really Happened?)
by Colleen Adams
Reading Information:
Word Count: 1,327
Page Count: 24
Accelerated Reader: 5.0 / points: 0.5
AR quiz: 126090
compiled by Pam
updated November 2014






No comments :
Post a Comment