Green Philanthropy For Families: 160 Simple Earth Honoring Gifts, Actions, Activities and Projects


DO Your Family a Favor... NO, Do All of US a Favor and Add This to Your Family Library... And Use It!
What a unique and useful book this is! The authors have laid before us some very workable projects. At first glance, this work is an accumulation of very good ideas as to what each of us can do to improve our lives and the earth we live on; more about this later.

When you first glance though this work the message, purpose and goals appear to be quite simple and forward; more about this later. But make no mistake; this is a very sophisticated bit of work which strives for multiple ends, and I must say, has all the elements present to allow it to be quite successful in what the authors are trying to accomplish. Let's start with the first...


As the subtitle tells us, this is a collection of 160 simple earth honoring gifts, action, activities and projects for the entire family. And indeed this book is all that! These ideas are well presented, professionally written and are extremely clear. Having actually read these "ideas" I was unable to find one that did not appeal to me, I could not find one that was undoable, and I did not find one that was not only logical, but also helpful to both our environment and to the individual, family or group performing the task...if task you want to call it. (Actually, most of these project look rather fun).

The book is broken down into various, easy to follow sections beginning with one entitled "Five Things to Think about Doing." This provides an overview of how to get organized; extremely important. The book then goes on to several chapters of actual projects, which is further broken down into areas such as Simplifying Living, Food, Water, Urban Habitats, Wild Places and Things, Ecoliteracy, Community Service and so forth.


Each of these sections include dozens of ideas and projects to help improve our environment, how we can help as individuals and small groups, and what resources we have available to enable us to get the job done. These ideas range from the extremely simple to the more complex. The key here though is that no matter how complicated the project is, no matter how far ranging the effects might be, each and every project is, as I said earlier, "doable." Some of these activities involved a significant about of time and energy, while others will appeal to the most dedicated of couch potatoes.

Now one of the strongest and most useful aspects of this work (other than a whole bunch of great ideas), is the fact that literally hundreds of web sites have been included and provided by the authors. If you go to these web sites, you will find that each provide further links related to the subject of concern. The hundreds of sites provided here quickly turn into thousands...literally! I took the time to spot check quite a number of the sites listed in this book and did not find one that was unavailable and pretty much gave me the information the authors indicated it would.

What I have written above is the obvious thrust and intent of this relatively small book (128 pages). But is that it? No, no, no! Most assuredly not! The authors have been quite subtle in their goals. As I said before, this is a rather sophisticated and complex book once you start digging into it and give it a bit of thought.

First, this is one of the best primers or "how to get started as an organizer; an activist, that I have ever read. If you want to teach a child how to organize, run, become involved, lead others and in general, or become a good CEO of a Fortune 500 Company, I can think of no better book to have in your arsenal. Have your child start a few of these projects and I promise you that she or he will learn some very valuable lessons; about themselves, being at the very top of the list.

Second...probably one of the best foundations any child (or adult for that matter) can have is a strong family relationship; a family that is involved with all aspect of their lives. Show me a child that does not have a strong family behind them and I will show you a child that has two strikes against them before they even hit the pavement. Show me a child that is successful in their academic work, sports programs, community life...i.e. just a good all-around kid, and I will show you a child that has strong family backing...a family that is involved. There is an absolute direct correlation in GPAs and family involvement in almost every case. This would include of course, behavior. This book adds just one more area for parents, grandparents and extended family to interact ad learn from each other.

Third, this work offers goals; worthwhile goals I might add. We simply cannot begin soon enough to establish the habit of goal setting with our youth. By far the most troubled kids, the "underachievers" I have worked with, all have one thing in common...they simply have no long or short term goals and do not understand the concept. This work forces, in a sneaky and gentle way, the young person (or adult) to set goals and encourages that person to follow through.

Forth, we have the fact that by accomplishing some of these projects, the reader will simply learn "stuff." By that I mean they will possibly learn a bit about farming, gardening, salesmanship, our environment, history, cultures and most importantly...about themselves.

This is an ideal book for youth organizers, church groups, schools, libraries and most importantly, for any parent and grandparent, aunt or uncle who has an interest in becoming more involved with the young people in their lives.

It is a shame that I could not assign this wonderful and useful read more than five stars, as it certainly deserves it. My highest recommendation goes with this one.

NOTE: I understand that two of the coauthors of this book are in their teens. I must say that I am impressed. Kudos to the Deffenbacher Family -- Helen, Justin and Alexis!

Don Blankenship
The Ozarks


  • Accelerated Reading level : unknown
  • Paperback: 130 pages
  • Publisher: Green Philanthropy for Families.Org (May 1, 2010)
  • ISBN-10: 0615331157
Praise for Green Philanthropy!

"Every parent who wants to raise a nature-loving child should keep a copy of this book on their kitchen counter!" --Ken Finch, President, Green Hearts Institute for Nature in Childhood

"Wow" The book provides very practical advice for ways to ensure that sustainability is woven into our very busy daily lives. Well done!" --Kristi Wamstad-Evans, Sustainability Coordinator for Omaha, Nebraska

"The authors provide a rich and varied cache of ideas and resources for anyone who chooses--with family members, friends and neighbors--to create a better world." --Mary A. Ferdig, Ph.D., President and CEO, Sustainability Leadership Institute

"Seeing philanthropy as something for everyone, rather than just wealthy folk, is inspired." --James Greyson, Educator, Researcher, Writer, U.K.

"What a great idea! I like the sharing aspect of it and the sense of abundance in community." --Sally Lever, Coach, Writer & Educator specializing in sustainable living, U.K.

"Green Philanthropy reminds us that environmentalism is not about valuing nature over people; it is about valuing nature and people." --Ariana Miller, Environmental Educator

"Green Philanthropy For Families has redefined philanthropy . . . It outlines how parents, and others, can teach our children well!" --Donald Preister, Nebraska State Senator, Green Bellevue Chairman, Gardener

"Wonderful book and website!" --Tonya Ward, President, Grameen Rosenblatt Women's Association, Founder and CEO of Energy Rescue, Inc.

2 comments :

The1stdaughter said...

I Love this! It's so beautiful and it's also so useful as well. Our family is fortunate enough to live in a community where this is a main focus, thus making it much easier to live a "green" lifestyle. But I would still say there's more we could do and this book looks like a great starting point.

Fabulous review and I love all the points you brought up.

Anonymous said...

Hi 1stdaughter! Thank you so much for dropping by. You are indeed fortunate to live in a community that stresses the values of a clean, healthy and nice earth. We strongly believe that more and more communities need to take this route, as of course should individuals. To be quite frank, we are getting to the point of there being no choice if we are going to keep what we have left and have not already destroyed. Thank you for the kind words as to the review. I feel quite strongly about this book and hope they will get it into as many hands as possible. Thanks again for stopping by.
Don

http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/6276921/?claim=y89bz5f8z6d